As a little experiment (hence why I chose The Experiment) and to mix it up a bit, I thought I would try and write a very short review with some limitations.
Try it yourself, it’s harder than it seems!
Five simple rules:
• 101 words; no more, no less. Split-words are permitted (If spell-check says so!?)
• Must mention two lead actor/actresses names
• Must reference at least one good thing and one bad thing
• What’s it about? (no separate plot/synopsis section)
• The movie’s title must be mentioned in the body of the review
Oscar winners Forest Whitaker and Adrien Brody star in this inferior remake that studies the socio-behavioural effects of forced order and incarceration in a simulated prison; The Experiment’s high concept builds nicely on its initial intrigue but delivers little tension or believability with an implausibly short timescale for the descent into chaos, stereotypical characters and scant atmosphere. With a predictable progression the two leads handle an unoriginal script as best as possible to demonstrate some of their acting prowess but there is an overall sense of why when motivations are largely disproportionate when offering little new to a well-trodden movie formula.