10 ‘Great’ Sports films
There is no underestimating the sheer power of sport, over the years there have been so many brilliant sporting stories that have provided us with some of the best moments in film.
As a Film fan and a sports fan it’s no surprise that some of my all-time favourites are sports movies.
To compliment my recent review of the brilliant ‘Senna’here is a list of my favourite sporting films (that I have actually seen).
10. The Wrestler: Oscar nominated performance from Mickey Rourke as Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson. Darren Aronofsky’s gritty story of a veteran Wrestler struggling with his health and reconciliation with his daughter is both brilliant and moving.
9. The Fighter: Mark Wahlberg plays Boxer ‘Irish’ Mickey Ward with an Oscar winning performance from Christian Bale as step brother Dicky. Expertly studies the trappings of family and tells the underdog story of ward’s rise to a world title.
8. When We Were Kings: Documentary of Muhammed Ali and George Foreman’s legendary ‘rumble in the Jungle’ clash.
7. Happy Gilmore: Still Adam Sandler’s funniest film, the story of Ice Hockey drop out ‘Happy’ who unexpectedly finds love and fame as he rips through the PGA tour with his mammoth drive!
6. Talladega Nights: Another comedy entry. The ridiculously brilliant story of Ricky Bobby, the idiotic race car driver who just “wants to go fast”. Sacha Baron Cohen is the refined French rival
5. Senna: Supreme real footage story of three time F1 world champion Ayrton Senna, his rivalry with Alain Prost and his untimely death in 1994.
4. Warrior: The story of two brothers set on collision course in a mixed martial arts tournament. Brilliant fight action, a great study of family dysfunction and the power of forgiveness.
3. The Damned United: Michael Sheen perfectly impersonates Brian Clough, telling the story of his disastrous 44 day reign as Leeds united manager and his loyal friendship with right hand man Peter Taylor.
2. Rocky: The ultimate underdog story of Rocky Balboa, Sylvester Stallone’s iconic ‘Italian Stallion’ who rises from slugger to heavyweight champion of the world.
1. Raging Bull: Dramatic story of Jake LaMotta. Robert de Niro stars in Martin Scorcese’s classic tale of a boxer whose destructive and jealous tendencies threaten to destroy his life outside of the ring.